3M Double-Sided Scotch Tape for Smartphones and Tablets
3M, a company based in the USA, has been leading the adhesive tape market for over 50 years. In fact, the word Scotch itself (it's how we often call adhesive tape in our everyday life) is the namesake brand of this corporation. The company constant innovative developments make it possible to patent brand new products that are unequalled anywhere in the world.
The 3M adhesive tape has excellent adhesive properties, which allows for using it in various fields: from construction and automotive industry to electronics repairs.
Double-sided adhesive tape for repairing displays and display modules has emerged as a promising alternative to standard glue. With its adhesive features, tape is every bit as good as adhesive mixtures, but surpasses them as to ease of use, which numerous buyers have duly appreciated. By the way, you can buy 3M Scotch tape and many other products in our store. See the entire product range here.
Worthy Alternative to Traditional Glue
3M double-sided tape has the following advantages:
- It allows you to keep bonding surfaces perfectly smooth and level.
- Its laying thickness is uniform over the entire gluing area.
- You can easily divide Scotch tape into measurable parts and put these parts in certain shape in selected areas. As to glue, it could spread and thus cover an extra (unplanned) area.
- Since the adhesive tape is of the same thickness throughout the tape roll, the bonding line is smooth and even. With glue, you should adjust the surface smoothness by pressing.
Advantages of Using Scotch Tape in Display Repairs
Gluing with Scotch tape is easy as ABC and can be performed not only by professionals, but also by amateurs who are trying to repair phone/tablet displays on their own. It’s about time Scotch, a worthy alternative to glue, emerged; this adhesive is much easier, faster and more convenient to work with.
- Firstly, there is no need for additional equipment (UV lamp, anti-static room, etc.).
- Secondly, this material is more economical than the usual glue; one meter of 3M double-sided tape is enough to repair one large tablet or two phones.
- Thirdly, Scotch tape will never dry out while glue is drying fast the moment the tube is opened.
- Fourthly, working with adhesive tape is quite simple, because it does not dry as quickly as ordinary glue. Therefore, there is no reason to rush when gluing. You will always have a few more seconds to correct any inaccuracies.
To ensure high-quality gluing, you should follow a few simple rules:
- Bonding surfaces must be cleaned and degreased (use alcohol or other solvents, apart from hydrocarbon solvents).
- All parts must be dry (you can dry them after cleaning with a cloth or hot air gun).
- Please note that the parts must dry after gluing. The strength of adhesive bonding will be only 50% in 20 minutes; it will equal 90% in 24 hours and will be 100% only in 72 hours.
- Adhere to the optimum ambient temperature – from 20 to 40 °C. We do not recommend working with double-sided tape when the temperature is below 10 °C. However, tape type No. 4951, which can be applied even at 0 °C, is the exception.
3M High-Strength Double-Sided Scotch Tape
3M VHB ™ is a brand of high-strength adhesive tapes. The company started producing them more than 15 years ago. In fact, this product line features items beyond electronics repair products; these adhesives are also widely used in the construction industry.
Even though the product is commonly called double-sided tape, the name is not quite correct. The name "scotch" always refers to vinyl adhesive tape. In truth, it is a layer of sheer glue (with no solid base) made in the form of double-sided tape. After removing the protective film, you are left with an adhesive strip only. In fact, it is glue in a roll.
Specific Features of Adhesive Tape in Repair Process
Below are specfic features of double-sided Scotch tape:
- Similarly to glue, adhesive tape stays elastic after polymerization.
- Applying this tape is much faster, which significantly reduces the procedure duration;
- Scotch tape connection is waterproof.
- When using it, no additional mechanical fastening is required.
- VHB is ideal for connecting surfaces made from materials that differ in thermal expansion;
- Due to the high cohesive strength of the connection, such bonding is also sometimes called “cold welding”.
- Its use is more economical, due to the accuracy of application and a long shelf life (without loosing properties).
The 3M products include Scotch tapes of various width, adhesive layer thickness and length. Therere, you can choose the one that most fits your specific requirements among the range of products.
What Is 3M Double-Sided Scotch Tape Made From?
The main element is acrylic fibers. Acrylic is advance and milestone in the manufacturing of flexible longtime compounds. These tapes are designed to use on smooth surfaces. In terms of the cohesive strength, gluing is similar to “liquid nails” and is every bit as good as mechanical fasteners.
Another advantage of adhesive tape is that this bond is resistant to UV radiation, withstands different temperatures well, and is unaffected by water or chemical elements. If necessary, it is much easier to remove tape residues from surfaces than it is with the remains of ordinary glue, which is quite important when repairing phones and tablets. At the same time the chances of damaging the device surface are minimized.
Gluing with double-sided tape ensures extremely strong and long-term connection of parts.
The 3M trademark is a quality mark for materials that will help you cope with tasks of any complexity.
3M History: Through Hardships to the Stars
The corporation began back in 1902 as a small-scale mining venture in Northern Minnesota, whose aim was to mine for corundum. Mining for minerals did not work out and the founders faced the danger of bankruptcy. It was then that 3M laid the basis for the fighting spirit that helped to stand up to the difficulties and find new solutions, move forward – no matter what. Since then, the company business dimensions have changed several times.
Surviving ups and downs, the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company has grown to become a global international corporation, inventing ways to improve the lives of millions of its customers around the world. Perseverance and constant work optimization helped to survive crises and introduce innovative developments leading to its rise to the top of world business.
Since its bad mining experience when the company was forced to work with substandard mineral deposits, 3M specialists have learned to use the available resources to produce innovative products. They also learnt to attract inventors, scientists and investors, which made it possible to achieve success again and again, from year to year.
From Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company to 3M – World Market Leader
Today 3M occupies its rightful place in the Fortune Global 500 ranking. At present, more than 60 000 products of this manufacturer are used daily in homes, institutions and industries around the world. Many talented inventors and scientists work in company branches located in 70 countries.
One third of all company products has been developed over the past five years. They are sold in 200 countries helping to improve the life and work of both enterprises and individuals.
The range is extremely diverse. These are products for the automotive industry and for construction, offerings for health care, energy industry, telecommunications, electronics and much more. This modern corporation cares about its employees, promoting a healthy lifestyle and cherishing environmental protection.
Electronics repair with high-quality materials is a good solution that you will never regret. In the All Spares online store, we present a range of original 3M US-made adhesive tapes. You can pick up the necessary products on our website here.