What's Inside a Tablet PC and Other Mobile Devices?
Today we are using mobile devices more and more often than ever before. For one may confidently say, the primary technical feature of any mobile device is portability – a tablet PC user is not confined to particular workplace and may keep connected as long as necessary, while staying up-to-date with all important events. Nowadays, tablets are used according to individual tastes: some pick tablet as a stylish accessory, some individuals are just avid readers, some people need a tablet to show presentations and conduct meetings, while many others just listen to music and watch movies. Compact size and small weight of the device enables endorsing it even to the school programs. Yet many parents replace regular heavy schoolbooks with compact tablets containing electronic versions of the texts. Indeed many people are curios, what is inside a tablet? That is what this article is about.
The key components of a tablet PC:
- LCD – liquid crystal display
- rechargeable battery, and, certainly,
- tablet casing, which, is usually composed of two parts – the rear panel, and the front panel, holding the touchscreen.
The touchscreen is the input device responding to finger tips that allows the user to communicate with the device in a user-friendly manner. The growing popularity of the mobile device touchscreens has eliminated conventional mechanic keyboard while provided the tablets with bigger screens, as well as made web surfing substantially simple, thus increasing multimedia characteristics of the devices.
However, there are some drawbacks. The touchscreen consists of the sensor panel itself, the motherboard flat cable connector and the protective glass that makes touchscreen a a very delicate component therefore commonly requiring replacement or repair. For extending the durability of the touchscreens, our shop offers the optional tempered protector screens absorbing impact in case the device is dropped on the ground. The extra protective glass is likely to be broken, however, the glass is easily replaced for less money without tablet body disassembly rather than any touchscreen. If your touchscreen, unfortunately, has fractured, our store offers the variety of the touchscreens to fit tablets of major brands - Acer, Apple, Asus, Fly, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony, as well as the variety of touchscreens for Chinese tablets: China-Tablet PC and many others..
Usually, the touchscreen is attached to the tablet's surface in either of the two ways – with the double-sided tape attached to the plastic frame or with the ultraviolet glue attached directly to the tablet’s LCD. We offer the variety of high quality tapes selected specifically for attaching the touchscreen units as well as the glues that bond under UV light.
Nowadays you cannot imagine a cutting edge gadget without a camera. Tablet PC manufacturers usually equip their tablets with 2 cameras. The main camera is installed for better quality video and usually has high definition sensor and various elements for the camera image stabilization. The front camera is pointed directly at you, and is, generally, used for video calls and has smaller definition sensor to ensure comfortable data transmission. The front camera, and, sometimes, the main camera are attached to the plastic frame which is partially used as the front panel of the tablet body casing.
While the touchscreen is an input device, the LCD is an output device. The LCD uses graphic media to display information in a human readable form. The bigger resolution LCD is used – the more details will be displayed.
The most frequent problem of tablet LCDs will always be mechanical damage, in other words – the screens that suffer of fractures. Should you have experienced such problem, our store will always help you. In our store you can find the variety of LCDs for tablets supplied in various sets: LCDs separately, LCDs with touchscreens, as well as LCDs with binding frames.
The motherboard is a “skeleton” that connects all the tablets’ components. This is the complex multi-layer plate made of the dielectric material, its inner surface hosts conducting circuits of the electric network. The motherboard holds many soldered electronic components, such as various unit connectors as well as the user interface.
- Coaxial cable. These cables are used for connecting antenna and motherboard that are usually soldered together or connected with a special connector.
- Speaker (buzzer)The small size speaker, which main purpose is playing tunes, speech, movie soundtracks, games sound as well as any other sounds reproduced by your device.
- Charge connector. Some manufacturers install this unit separately to clear up some space for the USB connector, when the operation of the device is necessary during the charging process, and, in some cases, charging may be conducted only through micro-USB port (Item No.5 on the illustration)
- Mini-HDMI connector. This unit is specifically designed to transmit video signals to other devices, such as TV set, computer display or projector.
- Micro- USB connectorThe connector which is typically used to connect external keyboard, mouse, memory card, as well as used to connect tablet to PC and for other purposes.
- Microphone. This device is used to convert mechanical (sonic) waves into electric signals to record or transmit your speech.
- Memory card connector. Typically, this unit is used to increase memory volume for data storage. Looks similar to the SIM-card connector. This module is missing on the disassembled tablet body shown on the picture.
- Handsfree connector. Holding a tablet to your ear is so much inconvenient, that is why, you may opt to use external headset with a microphone.
- Tablet power button.
The other side of the motherboard hosts various electric elements, micro electric circuits and connectors for LCD, touchscreen, and cameras. Micro electric circuit, in other words, microelectronic integrated circuit or chip (microchip) – is the miniature electronic circuit, printed on a semiconductor substrate or seal, and is usually installed into the undismountable casing.
- Bluetooth operation module, Wi-Fi and FM-radio units.
- ROM – read only memory, which stores information saved by user, photo, video, documents and programs.
- Power management chip, in other words, power supply unit, designed for charging tablet as well as conducting power to other internal components.
- CPU – central processing unit, which is basically the “brain” of the device that computes data with performing arithmetical and logic operations as well as operates other devices. The main characteristics of the device are processor speed and productivity. Another important feature is the CPU’s power consumption.
- RAM – random access memory unit, that is, basically, working memory. This memory type is designed to provide short-time storage for variable data while CPU performs operations on the data. This is the place to keep all the running programs and their data.
- Touchscreen controller. This micro electric circuit, with the algorithm recorded in it, allows the CPU to perform floating point operations and converts them into digital code read by the CPU. Also, there are cases where micro-controller may be attached directly to the touchscreen's flat cable.
- Primary camera connector
- Front camera connector
- Display connector
- Touchscreen connector
The tablets with mobile network support also have an amplifier, while the rather expensive models even have video processors.
The device's portability is provided, first and foremost, by a rechargeable battery.
Rechargeable batteries are different in their chemical makeup, voltage, capacity and size. We offer the variety of the rechargeable batteries for tablets
Manufacturer’s main design accent is made on the rear panel of tablet - the biggest component of the device.
The rear panel design defines comfortable holding in hands, mechanical crash resistance of the device, and, of course, the device’s overall appearance.
All Spares Store wishes you have no problems with your devices and have them safe and secure. Should you have any questions regarding tablet PC maintenance, please, contact our technical support specialists.All Spares Store Team